Friday, September 12, 2014

The types of people in the Food Industry

So I am now working in my third group of food scientists, and I have noticed while the people change, the personalities don't. Food Science attracts lots of characters for sure. But I think I have generalized it into some categories:

1. The old guy with all the fun projects
He has been at the company minimum 30 years and has all the strange, fun projects. Currently  the old guy I work with is doing all the Wonka Ice Cream work. He is making some crazy things and I want to try them all!! But they are very complex, so a newbie like me can't get such projects. 
2. The person who doesn't eat ANYTHING
This one always baffles me. This person skips lunch, spits out everything we taste, and isn't interested in sampling what anyone is making. Why did you become a food scientist if you aren't interested in food??? It makes me so confused. 
3. The overly serious person
This is especially hilarious to me now. We are working on ice cream for crying out loud. Today we had a crisis involving cookies and this person made it seem like the world was ending. I know you should take your job seriously, but its food. 
4. The marketing person who doesn't understand the food industry
No, we can't do a full scale trial this week. No, we can't just create a new line for your extremely stupid product. No, you can't just take stabilizer out and that's it, they have a function. Yes, we have to use cream to make ice CREAM.
5. The ultimate foodie
This person is BEGGING you to ask them what they have for lunch, because they spent all of last night making it from scratch. They know every farmer's market, new restaurant, weird ingredient, and can't wait to act really really really smug about it. 
6. The person who doesn't seem to do anything
This person is probably in every industry. They don't seem to have an projects. They are never on a call, or arranging a tasting. They are usually walking around talking to every one. What do they do??
7. The person who eats all the time
Oh wait, that's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment