Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Classes They Should Teach in College (But Don't)

This week I have been dealing with my first real work crisis. As I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off, I have realized that in college I took some really useless classes (intro to guitar, racket ball, physics) and missed out on some key learnings that would be useful at work. So I have some ideas for better college classes. 

1. How to Make People Respond To Your Emails 101
Half of my emails are asking people if they recieved the previous email. All of my phone calls about asking people if they recieved the email asking if they recieved the previous email. 

2. Intro to Managing Your Schedule
There is a big difference between three of my friends are having parties at 11pm and I have three important meetings at 11am. Partying hopping is not a thing in corporate land and it's not cool if you show up 30 minutes late.

3. The Art of Eating Your Lunch in 10 minutes while Answering Emails
Luckily I have only done this once so far, but it resulted in ice cream all over my keyboard.

4. Corporate Abbreviations as a Second Language
I'll have your PO once the NPM is back from PTO and log it into NPDI for NDIC under the NIMS tab.
Okay....thanks?

5. Basics of Talking to People Outside Your Company
How much am I suppose to tell people about projects? I need help but can't actually talk about the specifics. Cool.
Excuse me, I need 100lbs of your chocolate chips but I can't give you a reason. I just need them. 

I am sure I can come up with more, but I had to bring work home with me and I am trying to avoid an all-nighter. Which college did prepare me for, but I have no desire to do again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment