Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The fog continues

The crazy dense fog continues here. Current visibility: about a 100 yards. So if I was standing in the end zone of a football field and you were standing in the other....I couldn't see you because of the fog. 

I had to go pick my co-worker up from the airport tonight. The airport is out in the desert, where there are no buildings or trees to block the fog. I tried to get a picture when I was at a stop sign about to turn into the airport. Here is what I got.

You can see the airport terminal right? It's right in front of you....

The fog is so thick you can taste it, like being in a giant humidifier. 

So what is Tule fog you may ask? If you never heard of it, that's because its specific to the San Joaquin Valley (where I live). It forms during the rainy (haha) season here. Car accidents in this fog are the leading cause of weather-related deaths in California. In fact, 7 years ago the fog cause a 108 car and 18 truck pileup just outside of town. I am never driving in this fog again. 

What is kind of cool is we are basically in a giant cloud. What is weird is that it is currently 45 degrees here at ground level, but right above the fog level its much warmer. During the day, the fog is so thick the sun can't break through it. 

I find this fog quite fascinating because I have never seen anything like it outside of Scooby Doo episodes.
Hopefully this will go away in the weekend. Apparently we are getting a giant storm that will cause massive flooding and mudslides and 30 ft waves on the coast.

And to think I moved here for the sunshine...

No comments:

Post a Comment