Sunday, January 17, 2016

Layover in Houston

So I am on my way to Guadalajara, Mexico for work...and along the way my friend Agata and I had a layover in the great state of Texas....Houston to be exact.

Luckily, one of our coworkers lives here and we were able to crash with his family. His wife is a blogger in Houston who has a lot of connections. So naturally, she was our tour guide.

First stop was a food truck park for some Texas BBQ
Oh yeah, it was raining a lot. Just my luck.
After that we explored Spring, Texas a little bit, which is a suburb of Houston. It was a very cute little town with fun shops. We hung out at a wine tasting room for a bit and just relaxed.

At night it was time to hit downtown, with our expert tour guide leading the way. 

First up, dinner at a place called Bovine and Barley, which had really good local beer.
The our bar tour and alcohol education began. First up was a little Mexican place that specialized in tequila and Mexcal
I did a Mezcal flight, and the others did tequila. We recieved a full history of each drink, including my favorite which was made from a plant that has to be aged 30 years before its distilled. I don't normally like the straight liquor, but this stuff was very good on its own! With it came orange slices with worm (yes worm....) salt.

Next stop was to a place called Moving Sidewalks
Their menu had all drinks based on an amusement park that had recently shut down. They also had ice cubes that were specially frozen to be completely clear and then cut into interesting shapes. Very cool.

Our last stop of the night was a place called Okra Saloon
This place was really cool because every time you bought a drink, you pick a local charity that part of the sale goes to. 

Overall, Houston was surprisingly hip with a lot of trendy spots. I did not see a single cowboy hat or boot the whole time we were here, so I guess I have a different view of Texas now!
Onward to Mexico now! It's going to be a very interesting trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment