Sunday, August 10, 2014

Trying this Blogging Thing

So even though I tend to hate blogs, I decided I should start one up. I’m sure most blogs are perfectly fine, but the ones I have stubbled across in the past all seem to be about people trying stupid diets (looking at you Kale lover blog). But I am starting this blog up for three main reasons.
  1. I just moved from New Jersey to California for my (hopefully) dream job working as product developer for Nestle Ice Cream.
  2. My mom and my friend Allison told me it would be a good idea and I am succumbing to (very light) peer pressure.
  3. I don’t currently have internet or much stuff in my apartment and I am bored. I wandered to my apartment complex’s business center to print stuff out and don’t feel like going back out in the 99 degree weather yet. 
  4. My aunt often says my life is like a reality show for her and I want to make it a little easier for her to access. 

So, here we are. I am not yet sure what I’ll blog about. I should have started two weeks ago when this whole process started. But packing and moving was pretty standard. No fun stories, outside of the guys from Trenton that picked up my stuff to ship and hopefully didn’t just steal it. (I’ll keep you posted)

I’ll start in on how I’ve started off. First of all, I have yet to make a friend but its only been two days and I’ve spent most of it running around buying things and setting up my apartment with the minimal amount of stuff I have right now. I have furniture and all that but I am not going to post pictures of the set up until it’s done, which won’t be until my stuff arrives from New Jersey.

Today I decided that I really wanted to work on my balcony. I’ve never had a balcony (stupid meridian) but I have always wanted one. Our shore houses in Ocean City usually have them, and I love sitting out on a balcony reading or sipping on a beer on a summer night. 

I went out to Lowe’s this morning and was instantly overwhelmed. So. Many. Plants. Plants I wanted to plant on my new balcony. I could already imagine my inspirational garden that made it onto some list of Buzzfeed. Then I realized I didn’t want to spend $1000 on plants when I have been wasting enough money.

I settled on buying three things
  1. Chairs that I can lounge on in the 105 degree sun and drink some nice cold beer while spying on my new neighbors. Much like my old meridian apartment I have a prime people-watching apartment.
  2. A baby aloe plant. I already experienced my first Southern California sunburn and foresee me needing it a lot more often. Also, my friend Kim told me to grow succulents and thats the only succulent I know. 
  3. A hibiscus plant. While sunflowers will always be my favorite flower, hibiscus comes in close second. 

Lowe’s didn’t have an basil plants which was a huge bummer. Anyone who has seen me cook knows of my basil obsession. And pesto. Love pesto. 

Here is the start of my balcony! Baby steps. 



Well, now I’m watching 500 Days of Summer for the hundredth time. Tomorrow will involve getting my internet (praise the netflix gods) and my California license, which I assume has palm trees on it or something.

Once I’m settled I am sure this blog will pick up. Read it or don’t, I don’t really care. Just staving off boredom and documenting my experience. 

Telling you of nonsense things,

Katie  

No comments:

Post a Comment