Friday, August 22, 2014

6 Things I Learned in my First Week at a Real Job

1. Training is Boring But Useful
The first week involved a lot of sitting at computers and doing eLearnings. I've been taking notes and studying all the time. I feel like I am cramming for finals right now. But it means I will be caught up on the basics and will actually know what I am talking about once I start in on my projects. 
2. College Didn't Prepare Me For Very Important Things
What healthcare plan do I want to pick? How do I budget?  Whats the difference between a 401K and a pension? How do I gain respect from old factory guys who have run the line for 40 years and don't trust a 22 year old scientist? How does one teleconference? There should be a class for this.

Also, despite the fact I have an English minor, and took a business writing class, writing emails causes a large amount of anxiety. I never know what to write and not sound like a college kid. 
3. Being Young Means You See Things Differently
This seems obvious, since its why companies bring in new talent every so often. But I really have seen it the first few days. I've already shown one of the older guys a better way to research on google, discussed some popular flavors I saw among college students (cookie butter), and contributed to some new flavor brainstorming. Also, a few of my questions have been answered with "I don't know....I've never thought about it before, it just is that way." 
4.Working 8am-5pm Every Day is Tiring 
This is especially true since I don't drink coffee. But even though I did a million things in college and was constantly busy, I still found time for naps and relaxing. Running from meeting to meeting, and the higher stress is guaranteeing me a 10pm bedtime. We will see how long I can stay off caffeine. 
5. Any Possible Chance of Friendship Is Exciting 
I am a little starved for a social life living out here alone so I've become obnoxiously outgoing. Girls in my gym class, HI! How's it going? Girl at work, want to hang out at the pool? My one friend Curtis says the key is to say Yes to any social gatherings, even if it is something you've never done before or hanging out with people you usually wouldn't. You never know what it may lead to. 
6. Unimportant Things are Suddenly Important To You
Things like cooking a big enough dinner so that I have leftovers for lunch, laying out my clothes the night before, planning my meals before I go grocery shopping, taking care of my balcony harden, and other things I never cared about are sudden top priorities. 


This is a little of what I have learned for now. I am sure there is a million more things to learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment