Monday, September 7, 2015

Boston Pt 1 - Friday

While I love California with it's golden beaches and endless hiking trails, occasionally I do need a break from its perfection. Luckily, with all my travel for work I have gotten a lot of frequent flyer miles that I was able to convert into a trip to Boston to visit my best friend from college, Kim.

I took a super fun red eye flight and arrived in the city bright and early on Friday. Kim lives halfway between Harvard and MIT in a very nice area with beautiful old houses that have been converted into apartments. 

Sadly, Kim had to work on Friday, as she just started her year in City Life, where she works in school to help struggling students and do other service activities. She only had a brief break for lunch, but other then that I was on my own.

Luckily I've become a very accomplished adventurer. I started wandering toward downtown Boston when I stumbled upon the famous Freedom trail.
This red brick trail goes from famous landmark to famous landmark, and is super easy to follow. It was a great way to spend a beautiful afternoon and get my FitBit steps in (23,000 that day!!)

It took me to many interesting places like Boston Commons
And Samuel Adams grave 
Paul Revere's grave
A lot of street performers 
The Old North Church
And all the way up to Little Italy, where I got some famous canollis 
I really miss good Italian food in California, so getting a good cannoli was extra special 
Which of course I shared with Kim when she got out of work.

At night we went to get ice cream from a artisan shop because I always like trying flavors we don't make (ovaltine and burnt caramel, awesome combination)

After that we went and hung out at some MIT bars. I expected to hear lots of intelligent conversations going on, but the MIT bars sounded no different then the Penn State bars. All college kids are the same I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment