Monday, November 9, 2015

Scuba Diving

So I have been quite the past few weekends, and it's been for a good reason: I've been in training. For the entire month of October I was in class to become a certified scuba diver!

Lots of boring class work and learning things in the pool. But this weekend was the final test: the ocean dives.

So it was back to my favorite place in California, Catalina island! This time to the dive park
We got there mid-afternoon on Friday and the island was as beautiful as usual.the other students and I rented a golf cart and zoomed around the island exploring town and the surrounding area
The sunsets on the island are spectacular 
It was early to bed and early to rise as we had our first dive at 7:30am. I was extremely nervous about all we had to remember and that the water was going to be freezing.

Lucky for me, the water was 75 degrees with 80ft visibility. And once I got underwater, all the fears were gone!
We had to do s lot underwater, from taking our masks off, to navigating with a compass, to "running out of air" and going through emergency drills. It was hard but fun!

And after we were done with the skills, we got to have fun. There were TONsof fish to see
My favorite are the garabaldi, the bright orange state fish of California 
They were everywhere
There were also some wrecks (too deep for me to get a good picture), lobsters, octopi, eels, and even a grave 

We ended up doing 4 dives in 2 days and I was exhausted. It's a lot more work then you think! But it was awesome. I have really good videos of the whole experience but I can't post them here. 

So I'm now officially a certified open water diver up to 60ft. And I'm starting to look at extending that to an advanced diver, but more to come on that later....

No comments:

Post a Comment